“Poetry isn’t a profession; it’s a way of life. It’s an empty basket; you put your life into it and make something out of that.”
CLASSES START TODAY!
Put Your Words in Our Empty Basket
We’re offering many opportunities to write this month. Join us starting today!
We’re hosting many new classes and events in April for National Poetry Month, and we’d love to see you there. Join us for OCEANS of Art on THURSDAY along with the artists from our OCEANS Exhibition, including Edmari Hernandez Silen, Tatiana Kitchen, Velour, and Aisling Millar McDonald. Facilitator Karen Allen will take a deeper dive into the art and words of these remarkable women and the OCEANS Exhibition theme.
We hope you’re able to join us! Register soon because space is limited. Register here or below.
Calendar of Events for April
Join us for these terrific opportunities coming up soon!
- Thursday, April 7 — OCEANS of Art (via Zoom), 6:30-9 p.m., online, led by faculty member Karen Allen
- Monday, April 11 — CURRENTS for high schoolers (two more sessions)
- Tuesday, April 12 — Mindfulness in the Park, 9:30-12, in person, led by faculty member Marilyn Jones
- Saturday, April 23 — Spring Workshop: Cook + Write + Eat, in person, with guest artists Nancy Murrey-Settle and Elizabeth Reed, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Saturday, April 9 — Blooms Galore and More at the Garden Club (get copies of our latest Anthology), 9-3 p.m.
- Saturday, April 9 — St. Augustine PoetFest, 10 a.m. (plus Friday night activities)
- Saturday, April 9 — Sunshine State Book Festival, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. (plus more events the next day)
- Sunday, April 10 — First Coast Poetry Showcase, 2-4 p.m., a celebration of poets and poetry hosted by the North Florida Poetry Hub
- Saturday, April 16 — Community ReadAround, Anthology (via Zoom), with founder Mary Pierce Brosmer, 3-5 p.m. (also a fundraiser)
- Saturday, August 30 — Independent Bookstore Day at San Marco Books.
More details below. Click on any image to learn more or to register for each event. We hope to see you!
Jennifer Wolfe, Executive Director,
Women Writing for (a) Change Jacksonville
Women Writers Enjoying Writing Circles!
We’ve enjoyed meeting in person for more of our classes this year, including The Gift of Years with Marilyn Jones, the Oceans Series on Wednesdays and Friday with Jennifer Wolfe (including small groups, where we share our words with trusted peers), and our Write and Hike yesterday at the Marjorie K. Rawlings State Park. What a joy to meet in person again!
The Last Word
“Poems come out of wonder, not out of knowing.”