Find Your Tribe in Our Community this Fall
Not long ago, a friend lamented that she had not yet really found her tribe, and longed for one. I so wanted to “fix” her by suggesting she join Women Writing for (a) Change, Jacksonville. However, I must remember to MYOB (as Ann Landers used to say), and that WWf(a)C might not be for everyone.
However, if YOU are looking for a tribe, and you are OPEN to suggestions … perhaps you might care to join us? Here’s how to know if this community is right (a.k.a., “write”) for you:
- You have a lot to say, and you need a healthy outlet for saying it
- You’d like to be heard, without judgement
- You enjoy writing, but don’t have much of a practice
- You write all the time, but you don’t have a regular way to get feedback (other than “likes” in your FB feed)
- You’d enjoy being anchored in a circle of supportive women
- You’re in transition, and exploring new creative outlets
- You’re an experienced writer who’d like to be stimulated by new techniques, ideas, resources, and people
- You’d like to use writing to help you create a more “conscious” life for yourself
Actually, there are hundreds of reason you might enjoy being part of this tribe. So, I cordially invite you to give us a try this fall. We’ve got lots of ways to participate.
For starters, you can “take us for a test drive” during our Sampler class at Unity Plaza on Aug. 31. Or, take the plunge now and sign up for our Fall Series, starting Sept. 7, where we will be focusing on the theme of fiction (and non-fiction) writing techniques. Register here. Seating is limited, so register soon!
Or, if you’ve been through a big transition lately, and live near the beach, you may want to sign up for our 6-week Writing Through Transitions series in Ponte Vedra starting Oct. 13, focusing on using your journal to help you walk through this challenging time. You can register here if you want us to to hold your spot.
Plus, there’s our Art + Soul Retreat on Nov. 5, a one-day workshop where we will write, collage, share our work, and eat — with food catered by Tres Leches. Activities include writing, mixed-media collage, SoulCollage®, and art journal-making. Register here.
Finally, we’re planning a Women’s Open Mic on Nov. 2, a “Write + Hike + Birdwatching” at Guana River State Park, and hopefully a new monthly series at the Downtown Library (more details soon). Plus, save the date of Nov. 12 for the Jax by Jax Literary Festival. We will be actively supporting the Jacksonville writing community again this year.
No matter where you are on your life journey, or what kind of writer you are, we’ve got a place for you in this tribe—if you want one. Our mission is:
- “To nurture and celebrate the individual voice by facilitating supportive writing circles and by encouraging people to craft more conscious lives through the art of writing and the practices of community.”
We do hope you’ll join us.
—Jennifer Wolfe, owner
Women Writing for (a) Change, Jacksonville
WWF(a)C, Jax, is one of six affiliate sites of the women-led, national organization Women Writing for (a) Change, founded in Cincinnati, Ohio, and currently celebrating its 25th anniversary year.